ITE Michigan provides student assistance for university students at Michigan State University, Wayne State University, Michigan Technological University and Western Michigan University and has been ongoing since 1989. The assistance consists of:
- Monetary Scholarships – The first scholarship was awarded in 1992 to Martin Kane for $500. The Section now awards four, $2000 scholarships, annually.
- Student Paper Competition – Started in 1989 with one $100 winner. It has grown to a first place award of $500, and a second place award of $300.
The 2013 Scholarship Winners:
- Samuel Redinger – Michigan Tech ($2000)
- Trevor Kirsch – Wayne State ($2000)
- Matthew Clark – Western Michigan ($2000)
- Bryce Wegner – Western Michigan ($2000)
The 2013 Student Paper Winners:
- 1st Place $500 Award
- Ahmad M. Fawaz, M.Sc. from Wayne State University
- Models Predicting the Number of Crashes at Single Lane Roundabouts and Signalized Intersections
- 2nd Place $300 Award
- Elisha Jackson Wankogere from Western Michigan University
- A Look at Injury Severity Levels Sustained by Motorcyclists in Detroit, Michigan in Year 2011
The money for all of this assistance comes from the Michigan Section Golf Tournament that is held annually in May, and through the generous donations of the Michigan Section members.
The Education-Scholarship Committee consists of Bill Savage, Tim Haagsma, Scott Shogan, Dave Merchant and Tom Kricinski.
For those of you who would like to make a contribution to the ITE Michigan Scholarship Fund, please visit the donation page!